The Green Team
A Green Sanctuary
As a recognized Green Sanctuary, we live with a deep awareness of our climate crisis and the deep environmental injustices of our time. We commit to four practices, grounded in Unitarian Universalist principles:
- Environmental Justice: We partner with marginalized communities who are hit first and hardest by environmental crisis. In partnering with these communities we are able to address human and environmental needs at the same time.
- Worship and Celebration: As we work together towards a cleaner, more just and sustainable world, worship inspires our work and reminds us of what is most sacred and most true.
- Religious Education: Our workshops and programs for all ages shape attitudes and build practices that are sustainable and spiritually-grounded.
- Sustainable Living: We treat the world more gently by using fewer resources and being mindful of the choices we make, both as a congregation and as households.
For more information, visit UUA Green Sanctuary Vision.
At the Local Level:
Members of BRUU are actively engaged in addressing the challenges of increasing sustainability and resilience, together with increasing equity. BRUU members are active in crafting local sustainability plans through the Prince William County Sustainability Commission and the City of Manassas Parks and Recration Committee.
- In 2021, BRUU earned reaccreditation with the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) as a Green Sanctuary under the recently developed Climate Justice program.
- Green Team Report June 6, 2021
- BRUU Climate Change Resolution Aug 20, 2020
- Fair Trade Source for Chocolate, Coffees, Etc.
Read about the History of the Equal Exchange Co-op and
Order from our Green Team Equal Exchange Products List.
- The BRUU Green Team is an official member of the Greater Prince William Trails Coalition which has developed as Aspirational Trails Map for development over the next 20 years. BRUU’s Second Sunday hikes are led by a Green Team member.
- BRUU members are also leaders in other local organizations which advocate for equity when addressing climate change and increasing access to green open spaces. These include
– Active Prince William
– Citizens Climate Lobby
– Faith Alliance for Climate Solutions (The BRUU Green Team received the 2022 Faith Alliance For Climate Solution’s Sustainability Champion Award in their Faith Community Category. Sustainability Champions exemplify FACS’ vision and mission, lead by example and serve as a model for others through a willingness to share and demonstrate a commitment to equity and inclusion.)
– Prince William Conservation Alliance
– Greater Prince William Trails Coalition
We invite all who share these values to join us on this journey of connection, sustainability, and hope. Contact email@example.com to get involved.