The mission of the Social Justice Committee is to identify and give expression to the social justice concerns of Bull Run Unitarian Universalists. Our congregation desires to be a partner and member congregation of the Unitarian Universalists for Social Justice (UUSJ). We will voluntarily join the national network of UUSJ member congregations, who live out their faith through engagement, education, and advocacy to advance equitable national policies and actions, aligned with UU values.
Okay, so what does that mean?
We will –
- Engage in social justice education, witness, and advocacy activities and events;
- Disseminate UUSJ education, advocacy, witness information to the members of our congregation;
- Support UUSJ visibility and involvement among our congregation;
- Foster participation in UUSJ educational offerings;
- Encourage our congregants to join UUSJ as individual members;
- Inform and update UUSJ as to the justice priorities important to our congregation and its members; and,
- Aspire to make an annual financial contribution to the UUSJ.
The suggested annual donation to UUSJ is: 0.25 percent of our annual operating budget and may come from a budget line item or special collection.
Social Justice Task Forces
- Virginians Organized for Interfaith Community Engagement (VOICE)
- Racial Justice
- BRUU Emergency Food Pantry
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) through BEACON program
- Affordable Housing
- The Green Team
- An LGBTQ Welcoming Congregation
Split the Plate
One Sunday each month, we share the non-pledge monies of our collection plate with a deserving local non-profit. These are a small sampling of the groups we have contributed to in this way:
- Independence Empowerment Center
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Greater Prince William (CASA)
- Prince William Drop-In Center
- Project Mend-A-House
- Virginia Organizing Project
- Virginians Against Payday Loans (new law enacted Jan. 1, 2021)
- Churches for Middle East Peace
- Equality Virginia
- Prince William Habitat for Humanity
- The Trevor Project
- Action in the Community Through Service (ACTS)
- Prince William Professional Fire Fighters – Operation Warm
All other Sundays, we split the plate with our Emergency Food Pantry.